Friday, July 2, 2010

Interfaith Community Services

I decided that rather than rot away at home watching soap operas and judge shows all summer vacation that I would get out and volunteer. I found a group called Interfaith Community Services, they are a conglomeration of churches and faith-based organizations from across Tucson that pool their resources and their volunteers to help others. They have a huge variety of opportunities but I chose to assist the elderly. My "job" starting next week will be to pick-up and drive elderly folks to their doctor appointments, grocery store trips, hair appointments, etc. I will be using my own car but will be reimburse for mileage.

A lot of people have asked me why I decided to volunteer but more, why work with the elderly? Well, I was at Target about a week after school let out and an old lady called me over to ask me where the toilet paper was. She made a funny remark about how old people need to plan their trips around the store a lot more efficiently than us young folk because of energy etc. I was overwhelmed with sadness that she was shopping alone when she really should have a family member with her to help her out. So, I went home and found ICS. Now, I hope, I will be able to help people like her stay independent awhile longer!

I have already received my first two assignments for next week:
Hannah and Margaret need to go to the grocery store and Bette needs a ride to a doctor's appointment.

No comments: