Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Trigonometry is the Devil's Math

So, I didn't get the pics of the wedding up yet...I suppose you already noticed that.

Well, I haven't been feeling well. I caught some sort of a head cold and somehow that was affecting my stomach and I have only eaten soup, rice, or bread for about five days. Today is the first day that I attempted anything more substancial, and so far so good.

School has been a nightmare. I still feel like I am catching up from the California trip...although I don't think I should be feeling that way by now. I have completed all the homework and labs I missed so I think my instructors are just cramming a lot more material into the end of the semester than I remember from my previous couple semesters. Usually by Halloween or Spring Break, depending on the semester, things are slowly winding down and the stress level decreases. Not this semester...boy o' boy! Over Veteran's Day weekend, on top of being sick, I worked from sun up until sun down (FOR FOUR DAYS) on nothing but homework. I don't remember seeing Matt or the dogs the entire weekend...it was pitiful.

Trig truly is the devil's math. I haven't a clue how I can study so hard, spend all my free time in the tutoring center getting help, complete all the homework and do all the quizzes and still fail the test. If you can explain this to me, please do!? Matt has tried to help, but let's be honest, I am not the best patient or student when I am frustrated, tired, and worn-out. On top of that, if I don't pass this class I don't get the scholarship (see below).

Ohh, that reminds me of an interesting story from today. The reason I felt that I failed that Trig test wasn't necessarily because I didn't know the material as much as it was that the test was timed. I don't do well with timed tests. They freak me out and I screw up more because I am constantly looking at my watch. I petitioned my teacher in class today to reconsider his rule that all tests should be timed. The tests are placed in the testing center so that students can take the test whenever is convenient for them. I brought up the point that it is my time being used, not school time, so I should get as much as I deem necessary. He disagreed stating that the test SHOULD only take 50 minutes and that he is being generous by allowing 120 minutes for it to be completed...he followed this up by stating that one of his other students was able to complete the test in 30-45 minutes, therefore my needing more than two hours is unreasonable. I was about to let it go and go home but thought better of it and headed over to my teacher's office to give it one more valiant effort. My final point was that "your test does not test if I know math, your test sees if I can do math in 2 hours. I am not a mathematician by nature and I am not pretending to be good at it, but what I am asking is to give me enough time and I will give you my best effort." He than said he may consider extending the test time another half hour. I thanked him for listening and for taking my thoughts into consideration...I only wish my argument hadn't seemingly fallen on deaf ears.

As if life couldn't get any more hectic I am trying out for a scholarship to the U of A which requires a boat load of work and recommendations and frankly, just more time than I have. I have been working on it for days and have my teachers working on it too but the deadline is on Friday and there is a sincere chance that we might not make it in time. Keep your fingers crossed. To not have to pay for college for two years would be a dream come true. I have worked so hard for this, getting good grades and sacrificing all my time, I just hope the board can see that.

Let's see...what else? Matt and I are actively looking for a house. Matt is working on getting the financial angle taken care of, and has been house hunting...so I guess you can say Matt is actively looking for a house. I guess I have been a little distracted lately. The market is much improved (for us) from this time last year but unfortunately everyone is in the same boat and all the affordable homes on the nice sides of town are being bought up before we even get a chance to look at them. We will be pulling Mrs. Smith in on this soon, hopefully with her help we can a leg up on everybody else.

Okay, it is time for me to wind down and get ready for bed...I have a big day of chemistry and literature tomorrow!

Take Care!

No comments: