Thursday, May 13, 2010

Changing my Major again? Sure, why not?

One of my professor's, in passing, stated that the anthropology department had finally gotten approval to begin a bachelors of science program in anthropology which will begin in the fall. My ears perked up, and following finals, I immediately went to my advisor to get the skinny.

It appears that the new program will be available in the fall, but most students are too far into their education to make the switch (it is intended for incoming freshmen). There are two areas of emphasis: archaeology and human biology. I do not quality for archaeology at this point, I have far too few classes and refuse to invest more time at UA. Human biology, on the other hand, I have an excellent chance of achieving without extending my stay (which completely shocked my advisor).

My initial hope was that changing my major would allow me to graduate in the Fall, but unfortunately I would still need 3 more classes in the Spring. This degree would be a science degree, instead of an arts degree which for strictly personal and superficial reasons is much more acceptable to me. In addition, I wouldn't have to take any additional language classes, but instead take another math class (statistics) and a couple more anthropology classes. Also, almost all of the chemistry and biology classes that I have taken are applicable and useful towards the new degree, whereas in the arts degree they are pointless.

It is very scary to think about changing my major in my senior year (Hubby is slightly concerned too, which I think only strengthens my nervousness), but I am so much more passionate about the science degree (and the classes that entails) than I am about the arts degree. And if it won't increase my stay, than what is the harm? My advisor also stated that I would most likely be the first to ever graduate from UA with this degree...that has a certain prestigiousness to it that is alluring.

Any thoughts?? Anything you college graduates think I am overlooking or haven't asked??

No comments: