Monday, October 15, 2018

UK Vacation: Day 11

Our last morning in Scotland started with coffee, as all good mornings do. We grabbed a quick bite to eat at the cafe downstairs from the apartment, finished packing and walked to the Buchanan Bus Station again. This time we needed to catch the Express Bus to Glasgow International Airport. What we didn't know was that they only accept cash or contactless credit cards (which we "technologically advanced" Americans didn't have, so we had to hit up the ATM like an old couple and take out money so we could get home. 

We arrived at the airport with a few hours to spare, ate some terrible airport food and waited to board our flight to Iceland. The several hours we spent in the airport were difficult for me. I asked Hubby on several occasions to just leave me behind, that I would figure out how to live in Scotland without a home or a job, but he insisted that wasn't going to happen.

The flight from Scotland to Iceland was a quick 2.5 hours, although it felt like an eternity to me as I had finally come down 100% with the plague. I wore my medical mask on the plane which served to keep the other passengers safe but also kept anyone from talking to me. I might have cried a little as I watched Scotland slip away.

Iceland was the most beautiful desolation I had ever seen. I wouldn't mind going back to visit this location someday, although the food leaves much to be desired. So much fish, even at the airport. We overspent for some more terrible airport food and waited 3 hours for our connecting flight to Seattle. 

The flight from Iceland to Seattle (almost 8 hours) was actually the best flying experience we have had in recent memory. First, the airline attendants are absolutely stunning! Seriously, if you haven't seen the ladies who work for Iceland Air, they are incredibly beautiful. Second, the plane wasn't sold out, so the seat in-between hubby and I ended up empty (and stayed that way due to my medical mask) so we were able to stretch out and get comfortable. I will never fly international again unless we buy that middle seat, it made all the difference in the world!

By the time we reached Seattle, I was so sick I thought I was going to pass out. My stomach was queasy and the fever was making my mind foggy. I was so incredibly lucky to have hubby there to negotiate our way back into the US because the customs and immigration process was way beyond what my brain could handle at this point. Gotta be honest with you all, getting back into the US was far more difficult than I expected for those born and raised here. I do remember the Border Protection agent saying "Welcome Home" after he stamped our paperwork. It felt really good to hear those words!




Once we got to Seattle, there was another 2-3 hour wait for our plane to Portland. We snacked a little while we sat in the hard plastic seats as I slowly believed I was actually going to die. When we touched down in Portland and my sister was there to pick us up, I don't know if I have ever been more relieved. From door step to door step, it took us 22 hours to get home. When I fell into bed that night, I had never been more exhausted in my life.

Step Count: 7,437

Total Miles Walked in London: 23.08

Total Miles Walked in Scotland: 46.46

Total Miles Walked in the UK: 69.54

When I told Hubby about this total, he was both shocked and mortified stating "I think you packed the trip a little full." I think he is right. Next time I drag him to Scotland, it will be far more relaxed and luxurious. 

No comments: