Thursday, November 20, 2008

High School Moment #1

Yesterday I was walking to my bike, had my helmet on and was getting my iPod out for the ride home. From a short distance away I heard someone call my name and I looked. It was two of the girls from my Organic Chemistry lab. They smiled and waved, I smiled and waved in response. I suddenly realized that the "cool" kids just waved to me and I was wearing my grubby clothes, my hair was a mess, and had my pink bike helmet on...how stupid did I look? I felt a rush of embarrassment and awkwardness and couldn't wait to get out of there, afraid of what they might think or say.

Than, two seconds later I realized, I'm not 18 anymore -- I am almost thirty and no longer do I give a darn what the 18 year old "cool" kids think or say about me.

On the ride home, I laughed out-loud and thought -- Isn't it sad that even when we are older and more mature some of those old high school moments sneak up on us out of nowhere?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

OH MY GOD....AMEN TO THAT!!!

ISN'T IT AMAZING HOW CERTAIN MEMORIES TAKE YOU BACK WHETHER YOU ARE ALMOST "30" OR ALREADY "50"!

LOVE, MOM