Friday, August 28, 2009

To Blog or Not to Blog, That is the Question?

I am certain there comes a day in every blogger's life where they contemplate whether blogging is something they really want to continue to do. I have had such thoughts running through my mind of late. Coincidentally, last semester I had an anthropology professor make a comment that continues to resonate with me. He said that blogging is "extraordinarily arrogant and self serving because frankly no one really cares what you are doing or thinking." That made me think, is it narcissistic? Is it arrogant? Does anyone really care what I have to say?

I originally started this blog and the website that preceded it because I thought it was important to my grandmother. Maybe I am wrong, but I hope that she enjoys catching up with me and seeing pictures of my various adventures. I suppose the day she tells me this blog sucks is the day that I stop blogging. : )

As I thought more about it, however, I realized that whether or not people are reading my ramblings and whether or not people care what I have to say...I care. This blog is my forum, my contribution, my soap box, my diary, my pulpit from which I can say whatever is on my mind.

What's on my mind today, specifically, is a sound bite where Nancy Pelosi, our esteemed Speaker of the House, likened people going to town hall meetings and disagreeing with the administration to Nazis. I would like to remind Ms. Pelosi that it is our right to petition our government and that those of us who don't agree with this administrations policies aren't Nazis, nor are we domestic terrorists, nor are we anarchists, nor are we crack pots. We are concerned citizens who have sat on the sidelines and let our "elected" officials do whatever they want for too long. It is time for them to listen to us and I intend to have my voice heard (either in person or protesting outside) at Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords' townhall meeting on Tuesday.

Needless to say I have decided to keep up this blogging thing for a little while longer...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love your blogs....you go girl!!!!

You have never been at a loss for words....speaking in full sentences at 15 months old....so please don't stop now!!!

Love,
Mom

Anonymous said...

Keep the blogs coming. Love to hear what you have to say on anything.

Keep blogging for yourself as well as letting us know what is going on in your world.

Love, Gram

Curtis said...

Your professor has a narrow minded view on the purpose and scope of a blog. He is ignoring the purpose of most blogs out there today, which is to assist in communicating with friends, family, and acquaintances.
His statements only hold any meaning if you assume that all blogs are written with the general public as a target audience.

~kk said...

I hear you girl, I debate the same things on continuing to blog or not. When it all comes down to it I love hearing from you and what you say does matter.

Keep blogging.