Thursday, June 12, 2008

Billboard and Additional Thoughts

This billboard was placed today at the corner of Golf Links and Kolb. I was in the neighborhood so I dropped by and snapped a quick photo.



It has been very interesting to hear other people's opinions about the death of Officer Hite. Many are as touched as I am and are deeply saddened, others seem to give it very little thought or found it an inconvenience. I journeyed to a dentist appointment the day of Officer Hite's funeral and my dental hygienist commented that "the traffic was horrible, I almost didn't make it back from lunch on time, and hey, people get killed everyday...what's the big deal?" Wow! Luckily she had numerous tubes and equipment in my mouth so that I couldn't rebut.

I have thought a lot about the hygienist's statement over the past couple of days. It is unimaginable to me that people could think that someone's death could be an inconvenience. It is so very important for us as a community to honor this man first and foremost because he was a servant to our community but also because he was a human being. He was a husband, a father, and a friend to people who loved him deeply. It sickens me to think that there are people in Tucson who cheapen his sacrifice because it cramped their style. Yes, people do get killed everyday but how many of them get killed saving other people? How many took an oath to serve and protect and died doing exactly that?

I found a website today called "The Officer Down Memorial Page" (http://www.odmp.org/) and their mission statement says:

The Officer Down Memorial Page, Inc., (ODMP) is a non-profit organization dedicated to honoring America's fallen law enforcement heroes. More than 18,000 officers have made the ultimate sacrifice in the United States and it is with great honor that the ODMP pays a lasting tribute to each of these officers by preserving their memories within its pages. All who visit the ODMP will be deeply moved by the countless stories of selfless courage and heroism exhibited by officers who lost their lives while serving and protecting the citizens of this great nation."

They died protecting us and THAT is why it is a big deal!

No comments: